Shade Bamboo for privacy screen SE TX

tonyscape(SE Texas)May 10, 2007

Hello,

I will be planting a bamboo privacy screen along approximately 160' of my 60% shade (filtered light through medium trees)1/2 acre homesite. I was planning on several groupings of unique and interesting bamboo varieties and have come here for ideas.

I am familiar w/ Buddha Belly, Giant Timber and Alphonse Karr in my capacity as Senior Landscape Designer at a local design-build firm and I have excellent sources.

Trouble is, I am a "plant nut" and am looking for unusual but hardy cultivars for my project...might possibly even propagate them and sell them to my customers. That's why I have come here...to learn about any and all possible collector, unusual or just plain practical bamboo that meet my criteria.

One variety will have to be planted in a narrow drain area, so moisture tolerance is a must for that choice.

Height can be anywhere from 12'-15 but a 50' stand could be dramatic, there is plenty of

room available.

I would like to ask you this question:

If it were your lot, what would you plant?

I am here to learn everything I can about Texas bamboos. Your help will be appreciated.

Tony

www.lynnslandscaping,ci

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

There are many Bambusas that will do well for you, but most will probably grow taller than 15 feet. Even my Golden Goddess, which is listed as growing to 10 feet in height, grows to about 15 feet here.

B. tuldoides 'Ventricosa' BUDDHA'S BELLY and B. tuldoides 'Ventricosa Kimmei' seem to tolerate more moist soil than other bambusas.

B. oldhamii GIANT TIMBER grows to over 40 feet tall here but is very erect which I consider desireable.

B. multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' gets the sooty mold at the joints here which can look ratty sometimes, but otherwise is a beautiful plant. In fact, the B. multiplexes are the ones for you to choose from if you want cold hardy and shorter clumpers.

B. multiplex 'Fernleaf Stripestem' FERNLEAF STRIPESTEM is another shorter bamboo with tiny leaves.

The cold hardiest of all my Bambusas is B. textilis or
WEAVER'S BAMBOO which grows to over 40 feet in height and forms a 'vase' shape for a very well-groomed look. Quite drought and moisture tolerant.

Some of it's sub species are smaller but look just as beautiful. A couple are: B. textilis var. glabra and B. textilis var. albostriata.

Good Luck

Kt

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Using plastic container as barrier
Greetings, Do you think I can use plastic container...
Late Sound
Sponsored Products
Sparta Chrome Five-Light Cluster Pendant
$319.00 | Bellacor
Parakeet Bold Stripe Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Apollo Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Japanese Imari Porcelain Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Talista Pendant Lights Burton 4-Light Brushed Nickel Incandescent Bowl Pendant
Home Depot