Does anyone know where to buy sulf acid?

richsdMay 22, 2010

I put a little acid in my irrigation water for my potted plants, but the Safeway stopped selling it. Anyone know where to buy sulfuric acid in the Phx area? Maybe auto part store (battery acid.)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

We use the battery acid mix from the auto parts stores in our quads. Same mix could be used for your plants just dilute. Don't get the battery water, not the same, it's distilled water only.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 11:46PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

richsd,

Also check the hardware stores (Home Depot/Lowes/Ace) in the drain cleaner aisle. Look for pure sulphuric acid on the drain cleaner labels. Avoid the ones with SODIUM HYDROXIDE and POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 10:29AM
lazy_gardens

Pool acid. they usually sell "Muriatic" acid (HCl) and sulfuric acid.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 12:10PM
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

You may also want to consider using lemon juice. It's also very acidic (PH 1.8 to 2.3) and much more pleasant to work with and easy to pick up a couple of lemons at the store or pick one from your tree. Meyer lemons are a little less acidic than the others.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 6:30PM
richsd

Mangledmind: thanks for the suggestion to buy sulfuric acid in the drain cleaner isle of home depot. Sure enough, they had it. (although the label states it also has some stabilizers, which I don't know what that is, and I hope it's not toxic to plants. In any case, I'll use such a small amount per gallon of water it shouldn't matter. Rich

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 11:19AM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

you're welcome Rich :)

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 1:54PM
tracydr(9b)

With the pool acid and drain acid, how much do you use? Everthing is looking chlorotic and I've already used tons of ironite, should I acidify or spray with chelated minerals?
Where can I get a soil test?

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 2:08PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

tracydr,

Try IAS Laboratories

Here is a link that might be useful: IAS Laboratories

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 2:27PM

the best way to acidify a soil is mulch. One of the many benefits is that as it decomposes it creates organic acids that then act on the mineral soil and reduce the PH and release nutrients.
for pots, do consider lemon juice in your water, it's safer and much more pleasant to work with.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 4:00PM
tracydr(9b)

My garden has tons of deep mulch. Even in the more established beds with rotted mulch things show signs of chlorosis. Are those cheap pH meter kits any good?
I know my husband always has to acidify the pool water so I assume we're pretty high.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 6:05PM

Some of the water in AZ is pretty high PH too. Use your pool kit to test the water you irrigate with. I'm very fortunate that mine is 7.2, almost unheard of that low in our area. If you are at 8 or more, you may want to condition your water.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 8:04PM
richsd

Hey softmentor, what water district do you have? a ph of 7.2 would be awesome. I think City of Phoenix water's pH is around 8.1 (yuck.) That's why we all have such micronutrient problems in the valley. Rich

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:26PM

we have a well of our own, 618 feet deep.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™