Putting bananas in sun

jardinerowaMay 6, 2008

Hey all,

I have a dilemma. I have a three foot dwarf cavendish that is growing well in Phoenix shade on my balcony. Three other TC starts are growing fine and getting bigger everyday in shade.

Everyone says, oh they need sun. But the problem is this is Phoenix. I do have a bamboo shade on the balcony that only allows some sun in but I feel like if I move any of the nanners there, they are gonna turn ugly and die. I mean I'm scared to even put them in a little bit of morning sun.

They are growing fine now...should I just leave them there or should I bite my tongue and put them in sun little by little? Thanks!

Zach

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xerophyte_nyc(7)

it's not the az sun that is potentially bad - it's the heat and low humidity, so water very often if in sun

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:07AM
jardinerowa

so young, they will rot if in watered too much...az sun is hard on very large bananas but they do OK. Bananas 6 in tall is another thing! hehe.

Zach

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 6:01PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

If they're doing fine now, why mess with success? Plants don't always behave as they are supposed to. One very smart nurseryman I know purposely experiments with sun plants in shade and vice versa and often finds that they do better in the "wrong" conditions!

Since you have 3 of them, why not try one and see what happens if you really need to try it?

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 9:31PM
neilaz(9a)

I am in Chandler and grow one spot in sun until about 1pm and the other spot gets sun till at least 4pm. They can look a little burnt at times but i have nanners on one that gets the sun till 4. If you are going to do it now it will have to be a little at a time

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™