dwarf cavendish

desertgardener71May 19, 2009

I live just outside of the Phoenix metro area... many people around here grow banana in their back yards, in the ground, and I have some good desert adapted "Rajapuri" varieties that are doing superb in the ground right now. Recently I was given a young dwarf cavendish - not the super dwarf variety... i have heard from several people that these will burn up very quickly if exposed to full sun... any advice? My Rajapuri variety (3 feet tall now) are exposed to full sun almost all day, and I have a south facing backyard. Temps now are regularly pushing 102 and last few days it's been up near 107. My drip system goes on twice a day (morning/evening) for an hour, 3 times a week now. I'm thinking that should be ok, and I'm noticing a new leaf each week from the existing banana trees. Will dwarf cavendish do OK in partial shade/partial sun? Regardless, it will get blasted with a bit of overhead noon sun and full afternoon sun.... just don't want it to fry though. Curious to see if other folks in the AZ desert have tried this variety. Loew's and Home Depot always seem to have Goldfinger, Ice Cream, and Rajapuri, and this is the first time I've run across Dwarf Cavendish. Also - is it ok to just use some regular Miracle Grow plant food/fertilizer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zone10aridgardener

I dont have experience with this variety. Though it should be fine in partial shade. I have a rajapuri banana in part shade thats five feet. Just make sure the soil doesn't dry because the leaves will turn brown. Miracle grow will be fine as the plant ages, but right when you plant it I suggest you use B1 vitamins to avoid more leaf burn.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
Some sort of fungal disease
I have several banana's around my yard but there is...
crazyman2099
Sponsored Products
Nassau Historic Nickel Two-Light Flush Mount
$482.00 | Bellacor
Patterson Aged Brass One-Light Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
Nassau Old Bronze Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod
Chaya Chocolate Brown 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor