Who Am I?

sun_worshiper(FL 9b)April 26, 2011

I recently ordered h. x johnsonii (Hardy Amaryllis) from the Southern Bulb Company. They are blooming now & are gorgeous! However, two of the bulbs did not come true to type. (Props to Southern Bulb Company's customer service - when I pointed out the error they promptly sent me replacement bulbs). So I now have a mystery variety. Southern Bulb Company said that I am the first to report a color deviation, and they aren't sure what I got (they are looking into it, be interesting to see if they can identify them). Here they are. The red one in the background is xjohnsonii, and the pink ones in the foreground are the unknown variety:

Anybody what to take a guess what these are? I took pictures of the bulbs before I planted them.

I remember where I planted the really big bulb (3rd from top) and it turned out to be one of the pink ones. The bulb was a bit bigger in diameter and flatter than the others.

Any guesses?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StephanieJohnson(9 - Central Florida)

Wow! Those are breathtaking! :)

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 5:33PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Thanks Stephanie!

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 9:27AM
joshy46013

What is that red and green one in the back????

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 9:33AM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

The red one in the back is x johnsonii. The green you are seeing is mostly an illusion. The light was so bright when I took the picture that the green of the grass is reflected in the white areas of the flower making them look green in the photo. I'll have to post a close up of the red one so you can see the true coloration better. The true coloration is more like the amount of green that is showing in the pink one in this photo. Any guess what the pink one is? Could it be a mutation of x johnsonii of some sort? It is almost certainly sterile. Not all the flowers had a stigma, and some of the stigmas are deformed.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:13AM
joshy46013

The other one you see in the background, is that the same as the one up close? If so can you take a picture of that one?

I doubt this is xjohnsonii but a non-mutated flower would be beautiful :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:42AM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

All 3 of these bulbs were supposed to be xjohnsonii. But the two pink ones clearly are not. The vendor agreed what I got isn't true to type and is sending me replacement bulbs for the 2 pink ones. I get to keep the 2 pink ones, and am now trying to guess what they are=) I'll post a closeup of the red one next time I'm at the computer with my photos.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:34PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Here's a close up of the red one. Apparently in my excitement I didn't take a straight on shot=) And the bloom has faded now.

Here's a strait on shot of another of the blooms in the same bed.

The amount of green varied a bit from bloom to bloom, but these two shots show colors pretty accurately.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 8:00PM
dondeldux

The above picture is really lovely, I really like this one..

Donna

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 4:02PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

I got a response back from the vendor, and they have confirmed that some bulbs of another unknown variety got mixed into the H. johnsonii bulbs by mistake. So the pink one is definitely not a H. johnsonii mutation of some sort. What it is however remains a mystery. The vendor was not able to id it. Does it look like any variety any of you are growing?

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
What will it be
The game has started,another two weeks and I will have...
brigarif Khan
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
care of bulb after blooms die back
what should I do with bulb afer all flowers die back...
luv4buds
I'm beginning to figure out the code to ordering the bulbs I want
Ok, I'm starting to figure out the code to ordering...
jstropic
The brighter side of a cold and snowy day...
3 Flower Papilio Bulb #2 opens it's flowers
mariava7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™