Blossom end rot on my zucchinis

calb_gardnerMay 20, 2013

Almost all of my zucchinis are Suffering from blossom end rot. I was only able to harvest six zucchinis from six different plants . I just pulled them all out but I would like to know what I can do to the soil to prevent this from happening again

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AJBB(9b)

Maintain a constantly moist soil. Blossom End Rot is generally a watering issue out here in Arizona.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:34AM
lazy_gardens

A thick layer of mulch and a drip irrigation system to keep the soil moisture level constant usually works.

We have plenty of calcium, but erratic moisture levels will also produce that damage.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 2:12PM
azbolt

Are you sure they were getting pollinated? My zucch's that don't get pollinated look to rot/turn yellow from the blossom end until they fall off.
Hardly any bees around at my house, I have to manually pollinate them.

Just a guess...

Kevin

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:09PM
calb_gardner

Thanks guys. Kevin I see to it that my Blossoms are well pollinated I go out there every day with a paint brush And spread the joy:)
Lazygardener I have raised beds full of Compost and tons of egg shells , and its on a soaker hose, I will mulch more next year.
I thought there was a fungus that caused it.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:13PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

For mulch I have been happy with wood chips from a local arborist. He's at 23rd Ave and Northern and usually has a pile of wood chips in his yard that can be had for the elbow grease of bringing your own pitchfork.

I'm not sure I can post contact info publicly in this forum. Anyone interested you can email me from my User Name link.

It's best to use it as a thick mulch now, turn it in when you want to rest the soil for a few weeks between growing seasons. Some say that the process of composting wood chips in your soil causes an issue with nitrogen and micro-nutrient uptake. Others say this is just urban legend/old wive's tales. Take your pick.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™