Help: Spots on bananas

GardenHelpMay 3, 2013

Can anyone help me figure out what these spots are on my banana tree leaves? The bananas are grown in a Pennsylvania greenhouse with heat. It is around 75-80 degrees in there right now. The tree is grown in a container. It is fertilized every 3 months and watered around twice a week. This week large black spots appeared on the leaves and I have no clue what they are.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Gardenhelp,

From what I can see in your photo, it appears your oldest leaves are the first affected by this blackening, and it's slowly moving upward.

I can't tell you exactly what it may be, but I'm thinking it might be overwatering. If it's not too big an inconvenience, consider repotting the banana, maybe stepping up a pot size or two, changing out the soil, and cutting back on the watering to once a week, or once every week and a half for the time being. Worst case scenario, you're out a little soil, and the plant doesn't prosper at peak performance. Best case scenario, the plant seems re-invigorated and the black doesn't form on newer leaves.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 5:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Update.

Gardenhelp, I've been posting to another thread on another forum. Someone's plant was torn away from its roots and during that time, the leaves began turning black like yours.

I'd suggest unpotting your banana and checking to see if water is properly saturating the entirety of the soil. If that looks good, I'd also check to see if there's root rot or anything slimy/unhealthy looking with the corm of the plant.

Always comes down to "feast or famine", it seems.

"Name of Link" option says this isn't a valid address, but you should be able to copy/paste to see the thread:

http://www.bananas.org/f2/i-think-im-gonna-cry-17903.html

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™