Dying bamboo

gman76May 24, 2014

I bought this house and inherited this patch of tall bamboo, after 5 years the bamboo has grown to about 15ft tall, but now is starting to turn yellow for the first time.

Is there too much in one spot and has become overgrown and is perhaps smothering itself?

I'd be interested in learning what type of bamboo this is that can grow in MA and live throughout the winter ( I believe it stayed green all winter too but I could Br mistaken ).

Thanks for any help you can provide in identifying this bamboo and what could be causing it to turn yellow. Some of the Leaves are starting to fall, others, although yellow, still have a firm grip on the stem. Stem and stock still appear green but fading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It's not from overcrowding...that doesn't happen unless it's in a pot for a long time and becomes rootbound. It looks to me like the foliage got damaged by winter cold. If it's in a dry location, water it regularly. If it wasn't damaged too badly, you should start to see new leaf tips forming in the next 1-2 months.

As to species, the photo is too fuzzy to say much, but it looks like one of the common Phyllostachys species, such as Ph. aurea.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™