bamboo by a pool

alecatMay 1, 2007

My landscaper has suggested planting Oldhamii bamboo to act as a privacy screen in our back yard. I love this idea but have a couple of concerns: 1. excessive leaves dropping in the pool. How much do leaves actually drop (I am in los angeles) and 2. Root invasion of the pool The area has a lot of concrete so the landscaper says with good trimming yearly this will not be an issue. Does anyone have any advice/experience with this type of bamboo? Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Is this an inground concrete pool, or what?

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 1:09AM
lovejunkie

Bambusa olhammii is not a running variety of bamboo. It's a clumper. It grows quite tall and should make an excellent screen. The culms get to around four inches in ideal circumstances. Bamboo will drop leaves but not too badly. That shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Bookmark   May 5, 2007 at 4:45AM
alecat

This is an in-ground, concrete pool surrounded by a lot of cement. The bamboo would be located quite close to the water. We don't want to have to be constantly cleaning out leaves... Thank you for the input!

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:07AM
MrPrometheus

I'm also in Los Angeles with an in-gound pool and was giving serious consideration to Oldhamii as well. How did things turn out? My largest concern is leaf droppage as it will be about 15 feet away from the pool in a 4' wide by 30' long raised planter box.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:30PM
kentuck_8b(__)

The leaf dropping is seasonal. It drops leaves as new ones grow, usually at the beginning of the growing year.

Other than that, there should be no problem other than height. Mine grows to over 40 feet...you may want a shorter variety.

Kt

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 8:23PM
daveh_sf(San Francisco)

I have a number of bamboos about 10ft away from a large in ground goldfish pond. I do get some leaves in the pond year round, more in winter, and more on breezy days.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™