Place to buy shredded hay or alfalfa near Glendale?

rdazgardenerMay 1, 2011

Thanks to some tips from other members of the forum I tried out using hay in my garden as mulch and have fallen in love with it. I used it in an area I was trying to grow grass and within a few days I can already notice its growing better than it was before and its helped in my vegetable garden areas. The only problem is that its a bit hard to deal with the large hay and to fill in some areas since its long. I have tried using garden clippers / shears to shred it up into smaller pieces but that only works ok and is kind of a pain.

I think shredded hay is used for like rabbit bedding and other things like that for farms so I was wondering if there is anywhere where I can buy it in bulk where its already finely shredded? Thanks for any info

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

I buy bales of straw at the Stock Shop at 67th Ave and T-Bird in Glendale. They have lots of animal feed and bedding but I can't say I've seen shredded straw/hay. If you have a weed blower that converts to a vaccum, use the vacuum feature to suck in and shred the straw into nice, short lengths.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 7:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdazgardener

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and bought a weed blower / vaccuum and it works pretty well for chopping up the hay

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™