epsom salts

desertmama_bhcMay 1, 2009

Hi everyone ! Just wanted to let you all know my roses and dong quite well, thank you very much ! I did have to move Cybil (the blue moon rose) into a bit more shade...But she's blooming repeatedly...Mr. Lincoln is a bit slower, but very healthy appearing !

Gracie (my new gardenia) seems happy enough on the south deck, out of direct sun, her pot sitting on a nice two inch deep, round plastic tray full of pebbles and water !

Temps are now varying between 88 and 101 highs, so I'm cautiously hopeful for Gracie in particular ! I found my very favorite annuals, portulacas ! I absolutely adore these delicate appearing, yet very desert friendly, plants ! I say "found", because last year I had to search in three different garden centers to find them !

I have used recycled mulch on any and everything !

My question to you all : I've heard that a lot of gardeners swear by epsom salts, either sprinkled dry or used in water as a spray as defense against aphids !

I'd really appreciate hearing any and all comments !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

NOt for aphids but great for adding Mg to the soil twice a year.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 6:17PM
moroseaz

Kitchen chemists mix 1-2 drops of liquid dish detergent to 24 oz water in a spray bottle. Aphids shouldn't be a problem in 100F temps, though. You can also use 1 oz baking soda to 1 gallon of water to control aphids. Add 1 tbl bleach OR ammonia to control powdery mildew. Again, shouldn't be a problem in 100F temps.

Spider mites, OTOH, are here and can be controlled by spraying the undersides of rose leaves 2-3 times a week with a hard jet of water. You can purchase a multi-port water wand or trade out the water wand head with a brass hose nozzle and adjust it for a hard spray. Always hose off your roses right after a wind storm. Mites like dry, dusty leaves.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 12:12PM
motown_gardener

i was told marigolds keeps aphids and a few others away pretty well so i incorporated them into my garden. but roses are taller so im not sure if that would work.

i found a link for you, it's 10 natural or homemade aphid repellants. i love google!

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 eco friendly aphid pesticides

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 5:37PM
vilett

Gardenias love epsom salt. I sprinkle the soil around mine as soon as noticed older leaves turned yellow. No yellowing anymore. I got my gardenia veitchii this spring, it is blooming and so pretty. I can not believe it is doing so well when 95F outside. I have to water every day (it is in the plastic pot) sometimes twice a day. Water rinses Magnesium fast from the soil, so adding epsom helps.
Do you mist your Gracie gardenia? Mine started to open flowers after I start misting it a couple times a day with distill water....

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 6:44PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

The old fashion, small flower, French Marigold is the variety that is referenced when discussing it repelling ability. Most swear by them but some say no but I think the noers are using the modern MG.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™