Variegated banana clumps w/green pups

goldpianogarden(z9, S.E. GA)May 18, 2010

I have several variegated banana clumps all over my yard here in Brunswick, GA.....all ones I originally bought from Thailand and places like that. This year, I have several solid green pups that have come up in the clumps. I was wondering if I should remove there, for fear of the clumps slowly reverting to the green, or if they are safe to leave... Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I would move them but you can grow them for your own enjoyment maybe in hopes that it, or its pups will revert back. But I dont think its something you want leave on.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 8:04PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I would move them but you can grow them for your own enjoyment maybe in hopes that it, or its pups will revert back. But I dont think its something you want leave on.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 10:06PM
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

Many bannanas have to be at least a foot tall to start showing color. Give them some time if they are not vareigated you can still trade them or sell them

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 8:08PM
sfhellwig(6a SE Kansas)

I am curious about reversions myself and have some studying to do. However I don't believe that bananas revert. I know that on variegated Japanese Maples if a branch reverts you must cut it off as it will continue to grow green and will be more vigorous. Blood Grass is the same, the reverted sprouts will crowd out the good colored shoots. I suppose anything can happen but I have never seen any of my bananas change their coloration. I only have a few but have not heard of it from anyone else. So hopefully they will color up soon and someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 5:35PM
jus256(6 Southeast Michigan)

How much do these variagated bananas from Thailand cost?

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™