Any bamboo experts in Philadelphia?

rossmanMay 21, 2008

We live in Philadelphia, PA, and have black bamboo in our small backyard. We have been trying to find someone who has real experience and expertise in bamboo to help us, on a regular basis, to prune, maintain, and care for it. Does anyone know of any gardener or landscape company in the Philadelphia area who has this expertise? Or, if anyone reading this post does this kind of work themselves, please feel free to email me directly.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

You don't need to pay someone to do this. Bamboo is a grass and just needs water and maybe a little fertilizer in the spring. There's nothing to prune because bamboo culms do not continue to increase in size each year...each culm reaches its full size and number of branches in 1-2 months when they come out of the ground. If you want to cut off branches with a pruning shears or cut out entire old culms, you can do it at any time of the year without hurting the bamboo in the least.

The only thing you need to be concerned about is that Black bamboo, like most bamboo species in the U.S., is a running bamboo and you will need to chop down into the ground each fall to sever any runners that are getting further away than you want. If that's too much trouble for you, pay someone to put in a material called "bamboo barrier," which will involve digging down about 2-1/2'-3' and installing a thick, hard plastic material as a perimeter that will prevent roots from growing beyond the area you want.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 6:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rossman

Thanks for the response. We actually do need someone to help, either by pruning the roots on a regular basis, or installing a barrier, as you suggest. Also, since we have let the bamboo grow too much in the past seasons (and we are true novices), we need someone to help prune the high growths. So...if anyone knows of someone, please send the name along. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™