Indoor Banana Plant

geekchicMay 11, 2010

Hi all,

I have a new banana plant and I'm curious about what to do with it.

I have it in a pot and I'm switching from dragging it outside but I really want it inside so I drag it back indoors on occasion.

Should I stick it in the back yard with the most sun, or put it out front where it gets morning sun but blocked off from the afternoon heat? Or is it OK to let it grow inside the house with the window up for it to get sun during the day?

I also wanted to learn about what to feed it, outside of watering it when it's dry.

Any tips or other banana plant trees?

It's a Musa cavendishii 'Nana' that I got from Spring Hill Nursery.

Geek Chic

Here is a link that might be useful: My Geek Girl Container Garden in Lafayette, Louisiana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

I would keep it in the front with less sun so it wont burn up on you. They prefer to be outside and do grow much better. I use miracle grow food on everything and it's never done me wrong. Your plants looks very happy & healthy.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:57PM
deewillis

hello, I have 3 cavendish banana trees, all are in the containers. Any suggestions for a good fertilizer for them. I keep them in my green house in the winter and outside for the rest of the year. Would like to post the picture but don't know how. Can anyone help?
Any advices will be appreciated.
Dee

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 3:01PM
threas(z7 PA)

Hi Dee,
The link below tells you how to post pix. Hope it helps.
I also have DCs growing in pots.I grow mine indoors over winter and put them outside in summer. I planted a pup in the ground last year and it got bigger than mom in her pot! I dug it up to bring it in, but it died over the winter. But, there's at least 3 pups in the same pot. Do yours pup like crazy? I just use epsom salts and MG fert. Good luck!

Theresa

DCs inside
April2010~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~November2009~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~Summer 2009 Pup in Ground-7+ feet~~~~~~~~

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Photos

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 8:10AM
jwnesmith(8b/9)

If you want them to fruit you should use a high ratio fertilizer. We have a place here that makes its own: 20-0-30 which I use once a month. I'm not sure what potted bananas will do. They have pretty extensive root systems.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™