Transplanting Banana Trees

ozgirlmsMay 20, 2006

I have access to three banana trees in a neighboring yard - about three feet tall - that I can transplant now or they will probably be cut down. They are already much taller than the ones in my yard. Is this the wrong time to transplant? If it is OK to transplant now, how can I minimize the damage to the plants? I can't help with a botanical name, but these trees grow to 10-15 feet with large leaves. I have never seen fruit or flowers. Thanks for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fglavin(Knoxville, TN)

Now would be probably the best time to do it! Don't wait until it's Summer and 95 degrees outside. I would (if I were you) cut a couple of leaves off the bottom of the pseudostem, and cut about 1/3 off each of the remainder of the leaves, except the newest leaf. They should transplant fine, provided you get plenty of corm with the plants.

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 7:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ozgirlms

Thanks - I'm so glad that it will be possible to transplant now. I will have my DH dig them up this week. :-) I would like to save them, especially since they are doing so much better than the ones in our yard!

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
banana stopped growing without fruit. should i cut it down?
my second go around of growing dwarf cavendish inside....
johndoug
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™