Replanting

beachbum_nj(N.J. z7)May 15, 2014

After this extremely cold winter I was surprised to see a couple Moosa Basjoo plants coming back up.

Here's my question. In the area I have some dead plants(originals). They had bananas and died. Can I dig up those and get rid of them and transplant the one coming up in to the center of the area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

Yes, but are the new pups part of the orignal plant that died ? Good chance the ones that died will push up new pups.Depending if its established or not, the corm is probably still alive and kicking..If you transplant, do only one to make sure it survives so you do not loose them all by a botched transplant..or wait until you have more than one to transplant so worst case you do not loose them all. I started with two Basjoos, one died. From the one I now have four groves with approx 60 stalks. Plenty to transplant.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:06PM
beachbum_nj(N.J. z7)

One is the one I cut down for the winter coming back(not a pup). The other is a pup growing alongside a dead trunk.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:17PM

As long as you keep one , as a back up, then yes you can transplant. You should be safe. You will probably have more pups pushing up before soon. Ifyou have access to shredded mulch, not nuggets, throw some more around it and build up around it. They will spread and give you more pups. Natural hard soil does not induce pups.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:34PM

I have found my bananas thrive by mounding up shredded pine mulch around my plants. It packs down loosely , breaks down, and is cheap to buy.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 8:40PM
beachbum_nj(N.J. z7)

I now have 4 coming up.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 6:07PM
mj05

Should I place new transplants first in the pots or I can plant them directly into new place?

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:20PM

I have done both ways. If in a pot, place in shade for a couple of weeks to acclimate to being dug up. If in the ground I have placed a lawn chair, etc. to block the direct sun during the day for a couple of weeks. I just transplanted a Basjoo beginning of summer into a large pot in direct sun all day, no shade. It looked iffy the first week but It hung-in and took off. I watered everyday. I have so many now I am not that concerned but if you do not have many pups to spare then take a little more care when transplanting as not to loose any.

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
Some sort of fungal disease
I have several banana's around my yard but there is...
crazyman2099
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
Sponsored Products
Palermo Woven Planter - 36"H
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Lechuza | Delta 40 Planter
YLiving.com
Wonderworld City Beads Wooden Maze - WW-2008
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Wonderworld Rocking Raffy Rocking Animal - SW-1211
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Palermo Woven Planter
$199.00 | FRONTGATE