Ensete Maureli Sending up Sword suckers

kansastropic(5)May 4, 2008

I have a Ensete Maureli sending up sword suckers and it's only 18" tall so I'm kind of new to getting pups and what to do. One of the pups is about 7.5" tall and the other is about 5" tall. I think it might be stunting the mother plant. Do I leave it to grow more or cut them off so the mother plant will be able to continue producing leaves or let them become plants of their own. On a side note I have just been growing these on a desktop near a window in a pot that is about 12" wide and in soil 6" deep. If any other suggestions come to mind feel free to share them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicallvr(11)

Are you sure that you have E. ventricosum 'Maurelli'. Ensete's don't normally produce pups, however I've heard of it happening very rarely with maurelli. I'd love to see a picture of one puping if thats what it is.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 10:55PM
kansastropic(5)

In regard to your comment tropicallvr about my plant being Ensete Maureli also known as Red Abyssinian Banana that is what I have that sending up sword suckers 2 growing about 1 inch daily. they are growing under houseplant conditions with the exception of an open window when the temperature is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll try to post a picture.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 1:36AM
kansastropic(5)

Below is a link to the picture of the Ensete Maureli sending up sword suckers. The plant is still very small and greener than it would normally be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ensete Maureli with suckers

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 10:58AM
tropicallvr(11)

Your right definatly E.ventricosum Maurelli. You're one of only a hand full that has ever had that happen.
I'd leave them be until they get a little bigger, then divide them when they are crowding each other.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 11:31PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

But are you sure what's coming up is from the banana? They almost look like gladiola bulbs have sprouted. Where did the soil come from? Abbies are not known to pup unless large 'corms' are cut up. And yours is a rather small plant. Or perhaps there are more seeds sprouting?

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 12:20PM
kansastropic(5)

I dug down and found that the sprouts were coming from corms that don't resemble normal banana corms. They each have a single root that is attached to something down deeper than I feel I should dig. I guess I will leave them to get bigger and see what they really are.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 6:09PM
arctictropical(Z4)

They don't appear to be "pups" to me either. I would think that for that young and healthy of a plant, it would not sucker.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Some sort of fungal disease
I have several banana's around my yard but there is...
crazyman2099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™