Indian Corn as a replacement for generic hybrid sweet corn?

connordubJune 18, 2009

Phoenix grower here, with a question about corn varieties that do well in our low desert. Corn is one of my favorite vegetables to eat, but growing it out here has proven to be quite a chore. My fall crop failed shortly after planting (too late of a planting, plus i may have overwatered heavily, leading to a rot). My current (early mar. planting) crop has had much more luck, but i am not entirely optimistic about it, i believe it just is far too thirsty, and dries out way quicker than i am able to water it (i have other things in life other than plants lol!) Back to the point, however. The Native Seed /SEARCH in Tucson has really caught my eye lately- I plan on 'arizona-izing; my garden, by experimenting with some crops from their seed bank. Would a type of Indian corn or maize be much more tolerant to our environment? Any Phx gardeners have experience with these types of corn, versus growing the generic hybrid corn seeds found in garden stores? How does the taste compare? Any input is gladly appreciated!

~Peace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Indian Corn is NOT sweet corn for eating fresh, it's for grinding into corn meal. You can make "elote" (boiled green field corn), but it doesn't taste much like sweet corn.

I don't bother with corn because it's too much work and space for the amount of food you get.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™