Chusquea Gigantea footprint question

MagmaChamberMay 21, 2013

I have planted three 5 gallon Chusquea Giganteas to replace a dead row of Arborvitae, with one Fargesia Robusta on either side. I am not concerned about the Robusta, but I worry a little bit about the Giganteas. They are about 5 feet from a stone paver patio (the kind where you put down gravel, then sand, then set the pavers in). The slope of the terrain sets the patio about two feet higher than where the Gigantea is planted. The soil is very poor, hard and clay-like. Roots from a nearby cherry tree are throughout.

I see that they are an open clumping species unlike the Robusta which is more compact. I am concerned with them pushing culms up through the pavers. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

-John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

Most of the Chusqueas don't like really hot weather so if your Summer temps get into the upper 90's or triple digits, then C. gig. may not do very well.

Kt

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 10:16PM
MagmaChamber

Thanks kentuck_8b. I live in Portland, Oregon where I've heard that it does well. I am mainly concerned that it will do TOO well and push up the patio blocks. I don't know if this concern is warranted.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 10:38PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I wouldn't worry about it. Five feet is a big distance for even an open clumper. If it starts putting up culms too close for your liking, then do some rhizome pruning. This is not a big deal.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:47AM
Tessinseattle(8)

Wondering how your Chusquea Gigantea situation panned out. It was the one bamboo a local vendor warned me against because the rhizomes of one he dug out recently dove under a 36" rhizome barrier and wreaked havoc. I still love the height but I gather that it's more a clumper in name only. What was your experience?

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:56PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I have had several other Chusqueas for about 10 years, and I used to grow gigantea years ago at another house. They do not behave as was described to you. In particular, I do not believe that any bamboo, let alone a gigantea, would dive under a 36" barrier. I think your local vendor: 1) didn't know his species, 2) was exaggerating, 3) doesn't know the growing habits of clumpers, and 4) may have been commenting on an improperly installed barrier. I just don't buy it.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™