Bamboo Being Eaten by Birds or Mice!!

stevo_2007May 7, 2008

Hi, I have three beautiful bamboo plants and they are doing quite well but last week some animal started eating/decimating them. I think itÂs a mouse of some sort as I can see a few rather small black "poops" on the deck around the plants. IÂve attempted to block off any way of the mice getting into the deck area and IÂve built these (see photos) sheet metal barriers around the planters to try to keep them out. They seem to come both during the day when we are at work and during the night. Has any one had this problem before? I did a search on GW and saw someone talking about Sparrows eating her Bamboo but I donÂt see any references to mice eating them. Any one have any thoughts about how I can stop this since my sheet metal barriers donÂt seem to be working?

And why the heck are they eating them in the first place? Really strange.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I don't think it's mice or birds. However, squirrels are notorious for destroying bamboo shoots...they like the high sugar content in the tender shoots. To deal with this problem, see my answer in this forum to the poster whose topic is: "squirrels chewing moso shoots."

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™