bambusa dolichomerithalia - silverstripe timber bamboo

isabowMay 19, 2008

We're thinking of putting a hedge-type of bamboo along our back fence. We're not particular about the height so much but I'm concerned about the invasive quality.

I don't know if I could post a picture of the backyard here but we're just getting started on the renovations and picture or two would help you guys see what we're up against. Completely frugal budget so it will be a long process and just me and the hubby working the labor portion. Now, that being said, we plan for a Japanese-like garden (sort of like on the movie Karate Kid) with plenty of bamboo in pots and as hedges and hoping for some bonsai trees.

I know I could put in a barrier to prevent running but how invasive is this particular kind? Does it grow well in the Atlanta area? Will it need full sun or will partial shade work? Can we forego the barrier for a small, shallow trench?

We're novices at the whole gardening thing so please bear with us :)

Mike and Lynita Tate

Marietta, GA

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Bamboo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bambusas are clumping, not running, bamboo. Therefore you should have no concern about invasiveness: the bamboo will simply get a little bigger around each year. The downside is that, since it is a clumper, you'll have to buy quite a few to get a hedge effect as clumpers fill in gaps very slowly. Good luck with your project.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 10:09PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

One other thing: What Zone are you in? The bamboo you asked about - Bambusa dolichomerithalia "Silverstripe" - is beautiful, but only hardy to about 25F, and may suffer leaf damage before it gets that cold.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 10:13PM
isabow

Hey :)

Thanks for the heads-up on the clumper...thought that was a runner.

I'm in the Atlanta area :)

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 4:01PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

isabow-
So...I've never been to Atlanta in the winter, but, looking at the Zone map, it looks like Zone 7, which would likely get too cold for that bambusa to survive. Do you know of anyone successfully growing it in your area?

I recommend you consider a hardier clumper, like Fargesia dracocephala, Fargesia nitida, Fargesia murieliae, or Fargesia robusta, which are all beautiful, hardy to 0F or less, and likely to keep their foliage all winter.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 9:39PM
orchidnuts(9a Florida)

Hi.
Fargesias may have the hardiness but they will languish in the Atlanta summer heat. Bambusa textilis varieties can take the higher teens and they do well in the heat. Bambusa multiplex varieties can also be a good choice.
Rich

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™