spectabilis is flowering!! pic and ??

bamboobubba(z7 AR)May 25, 2007

I was doing my yearly cleaning of my grove and in the middle i found two culms full of flowers and seed pods. I have read that the whole grove will flower and die, is this true?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brian_k(z6 OH)

Oh how exciting! Possibly a flower or two will form and nothing will come of it - the flowering will be confined to a few culms. OR the entire thing will go to seed. It doesn't necessarily mean death, but the grove will be exhausted and need years to recover vigor. Flowering is a privilage to watch so enjoy it whatever happens. Oh yea, can I get my hands on some seeds?:)

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 7:52PM
bamboobubba(z7 AR)

Brian, This year has been so hard on my Boos. Easter weekend two days of 17 degree nights, killed all my new culms, then new culms started again and we were hit by a TORNADO ! Many new culms broke at the ground. My Robert Young recovered and has 25 foot culms over 2". The spectablis Is doing well except for the damage caused by the two events. I'll see if I get some viable seeds and we can talk about sharing. Dave

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 9:03AM
jadehawk_comcast_net

have just noticed on some older starts of Spectabilis that it has gone into flowering mode. what a bummer.

Washington State

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™