Another Identification request

lifyreMay 19, 2013

Good evening,

This bamboo has been on the property since I bought it in late 2011. It has likely been here for at least 7 years (judging by the previous owners) so it is cold hardy below zero F.

Here is what I know:

It appears to be a runner
It gets about an inch maybe 1.5 inches in diameter, most culms are closer to 3/4 inch.
There are many culms 12 to 15 feet tall, it may get taller.
It likes to bend at lower nodes and many culms zig zag for a foot or two near the ground.
Leaves are usually about .5-1 inch wide and 3-5 inches long.

I have attached a picture of a new shoot. I have other pictures and can (hopefully) answer any questions you have.

I have a couple guesses but I would love to see what the experts think it is. I want to know what I have to I can use it and groom it correctly.

-Sean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the older culms. However, the kind of zig-zagging you describe is pretty specific to Phyllostachys aureosulcata, a commonly grown bamboo also know as Yellow groove. Is this a green bamboo -- perhaps turning to yellow-tan after a while -- with a yellow sulcus (groove)? Take a look at the pictures of the culms in the link below and tell me what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. aureosulcata pix

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:44PM
lifyre

Here is a picture of some of the mature culms. I thought it might be yellow groove but it didn't seem to fit with a lot of the pictures I've seen.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:44AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Mature bamboo culms can vary in appearance based on exposure to sunlight, which is why photos can be confusing for some bamboo. I have a number of green bamboo whose culms turn yellow-tan after long enough exposure. That photo looks like Yellow groove.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:35PM
lifyre

Excellent! Thank you so much! I feel much better now that someone else with more experience thinks the same way I do. This is my first experience with Bamboo. I think I've got another variety as well that only gets about 1.5 feet tall but it seems to thrive everywhere and is easily controlled with a lawn mower and a funny look.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:54PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Well, if you can post some pictures of the other one, maybe we can figure something out.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
home terrasse
need help for my home terrasse
linabichebl
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Sponsored Products
Marchesa Collection 15" Wide Ceiling Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Spectra 29" Spinner
$380.00 | Horchow
Tom Dixon | Scent Candle Gift Set
$120.00 | YLighting
Cherry Grove Generation 9 Drawer Triple Dresser - ADL3787
Hayneedle
Cheese & Wine Book
$24.50 | FRONTGATE