hedge of psuedo japonica or phyl bessetti dwarf

mike1vMay 26, 2008

Hi all, I have grown bamboos for many years in upstate NY, now I have moved to central NC. I would like to plant a hedge out of either Psuedosasa Japonica or phy bessetti (dwarf form). I have grown both, the bissetti as a hedge in ny, and like them both. I was thinking about the japonica for a wonderful hedge but I am concerned it will be in full sun here in NC. Should I be? Also, which one would grow faster if there is much difference, i know bissetti can grow very quick, what about japonica. In NY my japonica was treated badly by the winter so it never truely developed, the bissetti however loved it.

TIA Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booz4all

Mike, I'd go with the Bissetti in a full sun location, the large leaf japonica tends to stress in full sun here in Md. and prefers a partial shade situation to look its best, good luck.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 4:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nucci60(6 Ma.)

mMike, a little off topic,don't you think Arrow bamboo gets out of control fast? Just spent the morning trying to get rid of it.It started as a one gallon container two springs ago and was now throwing up shoots seven feet from the parent.It was the only runner I planted because I was told it was not very invasive in zone 6.Pretty good looking bamboo though.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™