Got a bit of a weird question for you all

nannerbelle(8A)May 29, 2013

Long story short, I'm moving in a very few weeks and I'm taking all of my landscaping plants with me. As part of that move, I have had a really good garden helper come in and help dig up and containerize all of my landscaping plants. As part of separating and potting up 5 very large Musa Basjoos that was in one clump I've got a piece of corm with some pretty healthy roots on it. I want to see if any of you have ever coaxed pups out of a piece like this? I am thinking it may be a worthy experiment. And if you did this, how did you encourage the pup production? Ideas and thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

There are 2 definitive types of banana pups (aka suckers): Sword suckers, and water suckers.

Sword suckers are considered the "healthy" pups. they're the ones that grow upward like spears and take awhile to put out a true leaf.

Water suckers are the diminutive pups that show full fledged leaves early, but usually take a lot longer to grow.

Sword suckers are well-connected to the main corm, they grow as a true offshoot of the original banana plant, whereas Water suckers are often growing from a damaged or less-efficient section of the main corm.

As you've got yourself a chunk of corm with roots, there is a very decent chance you'll get a plant out of it. The only "problem" is it might be a weak growth, and the time it takes to grow and flower could be a LOT longer.

Basically, if you're willing to chance it, go for it! Just don't be surprised if you don't get a super healthy, overly happy plant out of it.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:02AM
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

But as it continues to grow it will turn back into a healthy plant. Correct ?

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 1:48PM
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Correct. If it survives its juvenile stage, you'll never know the difference down the line.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™