Black bamboo seeds help!

cricket-13May 22, 2014

I purchased some black bamboo seeds from the internet planted and waited for growth. The picture I posted is what they grew into. They look like grass to me but am unsure. Im not am expert but they don't look like my other sprouts. Can someone please shed some light?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It's not bamboo. Either you were given the wrong seeds, or none of the seeds germinated and what you have growing is a stray plant of some other kind. Just for your information, specific kinds of bamboo seeds are rarely available because bamboo only flower at long intervals...like 20 to 150 years. If you do find seeds available, you need to be sure they are fresh because they lose their viability within several months. Also, since it's generally illegal to import bamboo seeds, if you purchased from a foreign seller you are violating federal regulations with your purchase and such seeds are subject to seizure. Finally, if you do get fresh, legal seeds and are able to grow bamboo from them, it will be at least 5 years before you have a plant that is head high.

My advice is to only buy from seed sources that are within the U.S. and can guarantee that the seeds are fresh. Even better, if you want a specific type of bamboo, buy one as a potted plant.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 4:00AM
More Discussions
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Moso is dying
I have a small Moso grove about 10 to 14yrs old . ...
gardensnail22
bamboo books?
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books...
mersiepoo
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
Sponsored Products
Vinotemp 16TEDS 16 Bottle Wine Cooler - VT-16TEDS
$258.99 | Hayneedle
Tutu Garnet Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$189.00 | Bellacor
Daredevil Abstract Rectangle Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Colombo 669 Floor Lamp
Lightology
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Bima Black 7 ft. 9 in. x
Home Depot