Bamboo in the hood part II

iain42May 15, 2011

Planted Henon black and robert young Feb 18. We have had some crazy weather in Arkansas. I'm surprised they look as good as they do. The henon seems to be the least hardy but it is coming along.

I'm see lots of new leaves from almost all of the bamboos.

Some black bamboo shoots.

I have a shooting henon but I cheated and bought it at the farmers market for $20. It ha three shoots.

What I was excited about today was a robert young shoot and visible large root.

This growth has exceeded my expectations. I thought It would be next year before I saw shoots or much growth. I credit this to listening to the members of this forum. Thank you so much for the good advice it paid off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

Unless you want a mixed grove or the tallest species eventually taking over you might want to put down a trench or barrier between each species because they look close enough to intermingle within the 1st growing season.

Anyways as long as you keep them well watered and mulched, they should really fill in next spring after they have spread their rhizomes.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 11:14PM
alan_l(6)

I'm still concerned about those utility lines overhead. Are they over the bamboo? How high are they? Don't be surprised if the utility companies start pruning your bamboos for you at some point if they even think that they'll touch the lines.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 1:43PM
iain42

The power lines are behind the bamboo. The lines going across are for cable tv. If they try to do anything about the bamboo because of those I'll make them move them somewhere else. I drove down the alley and there are trees up in the lines in other areas so I'm not too worried about it. They were will always be more bamboo coming up ;)

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 3:05PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Congratulations. You're much more successful with that ambitious project than I expected. It's really hard to do big divisions and have them thrive like that, especially when you're new to this.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 3:53PM
iain42

Thanks but I'm chalking it up to beginners luck and excellent advice on when and how to dig. I'm really amazed. Next spring should be very interesting

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 11:38PM
iain42

I have another black bamboo shoot! Incredible.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™