Who am I?? Gift from neighbor

kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)April 18, 2010

After admiring a neighbor's amaryllis (filling their front bed) the other day, they dug up a huge bulb with offsets and handed it to me. Any ideas??

(looks like Gordie's cousin!) Mega-star-ish...

Kristi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Looks a lot like mine! Don't ya think? Donna From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 7:06PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Donna,
What is the ID of yours?
K

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 7:19AM
dondeldux

Hi Kristi, This is the eBay bulb that I bought recently and all I know is that is grows in the ground all year in NC zone 7 (I think) and it was a bulb this seller's mother had given her many years ago. I did contact the seller for more information and she didn't have any. I have posted pictures of this bulb on 2 forums and no IDs have come forth. This bulb is FRAGRANT which was a big surprise! Is yours?? The fragrance appeared after the flower had been out for a few days and the flower seems to last a bit longer than most. This was my first bloom and it was rather small, 4 3/4" but I know someone else who also purchased a lot of these bulbs and hers flowered at 5 1/2" to 6" on a larger bulb. Again, how big is your bloom. I think the key to whether or not this may be the same flower is the fragrance.
This is the picture of the listing on eBay....... From EBAY BULB

Here us a close-up that she emailed me later............ From EBAY BULB

And mine again, I think mine has more red in it so the flower can be variable...
From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

also, the back of the flower is very vibrant and from a distance the back is as colorful as the front........... From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

Hope this is a help............what do you think?

Donna

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 9:05AM

Mine is just getting ready to open so will report back fully ASAP. The photo I sent was taken in the neighbor's yard.

It's pretty whatever it is, and the bud's backside does have a lot of green, so I think we may be barking up the same tree.

Kristi

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 10:07AM
Jan Sword

Here is mine from Northern Florida, these amies been around Florida for a long long time.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 11:45AM
Jan Sword

I just noticed veins looks different on mine.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 12:00PM

Your veins/webbing looks more like mine than Donna's. Donna's are more stripe-like without the webbing so much. All have the dark eye. So....Jan...what is yours called?
I guess it might just be one of those "old" bulbs that have been around forever.
K

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 2:16PM
Jan Sword

No one has name for this amaryllis. ; (
Jan

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 3:17PM
dondeldux

Hi Guys, You'll also notice that the style on mine is very pink, and the ends of the filaments are a lighter pink, Kristi, yours seems to be more like mine. Jan, yours are white. Look for a sweet fragrance after the flower has been out for a few days.

Donna

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 4:39PM

Well, rats! The blooms just opened on mine, and they are H. Johnsonii!! They were off by themselves and perhaps the neighbor didn't realize this. Will go by today and see if they have other HJ in the bed. If not, will convince(!)them that they need to take this one back and give me some of the above!

:-/
Kristi

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 4:01PM
dondeldux

Well, that's too bad!! When you go back, get some more
pictures and give them a sniff!! Good Luck!!

Donna

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 5:22PM
Jan Sword

Mine are not fragrant. ; ( but I still love them.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 10:17PM

Went walking tonight...stuck my nose in one of their blooms....sweet!! it has a light fragrance, and I came up with a nose full of pollen!
:-)
K

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 8:18PM
dondeldux

Well, maybe it is the same as mine then, the fragrance got stronger the longer the flower was out, in fact even when the flowers were wilting at the very end the fragrance was quite strong!
Donna

Does your neighbor have a name for this flower?

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Let's Get Acquainted!
In recent months, we've had several new members join...
jodik_gw
May Wonder
This is another Komoriya bulb that flowers for me every...
jstropic
I'm beginning to figure out the code to ordering the bulbs I want
Ok, I'm starting to figure out the code to ordering...
jstropic
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™