Hope I didn't make a Boo-Boo getting this BOO)

poaky1May 14, 2013

I have just ordered Phyllostachys Atrovaginata. The big 3+ inch culm (eventually) timber bamboo. I have a raised area with soggy soil and the Phyll. Atro seems perfect. I am definitely going to use barrier. If I try a container, I think it will fall over and burst it's sides quickly. I have a book that says it can handle boggy soil. My big worry is with the giant culms and controlling it. It will have a large area to colonize for a while, but is it aggressive in zone 6? I am over-reacting probably, right? It said zone 5, so I'm sure it will survive zone 6.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

poaky-
I grow it in Zone 8 and it's highly controllable. In your Zone, I think it will be at leasst several years before it does anything much to be of concern. I don't use barrier with mine. I just chop wayward rhizomes once a year.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 1:09PM
poaky1

Thanks Kudzu, I am hoping that I can get some soil to make a mound with to make it easier to trim up rhizomes in the future.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:03PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I've planted several of my runners in mounds and it does help for rhizome discovery and pruning.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:28PM
poaky1

I received my Phylostachys Atrovaginata today. It is going to be 30 F tonight so it is in my unheated greenhouse. I am thinking of either getting some topsoil delivered to form a mound or building a HYPERTUFA container. I would build a framework of wood and chickenwire and coat with a cement sand and peat/ sawdust mix. I think rhizome barrier may be cheaper though. It will take years before I have to worry about rampant spread though.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:16AM
More Discussions
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™