Kaori Maihime - a winter grower

ben773(5a)April 7, 2014

Hi:
I have a Kaori Maihime from Komoriya, and according to them, it is a winter growing (growing in Autumn).
Mine leafed out about a month ago, so should I water it and force it to go dormant?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ben
Beach Park, IL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

OMG if you are lucky enough to have a Komoroya bulb that wants to grow leaves then by all means let it!! Let it do what it wants, water and let it grow!!

Donna

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 4:33PM
ben773(5a)

Hi Donna:
I will let it grow. BTW, I also have a few that just sits.
Examples below:
Piyo-Piyo - Just firmly rooted, no top growth. Bulb is turgid, I even tried to "jiggle" it, won't budge. Hopefully will get top growth this year.
Petit Kaguyahime - No roots and no top growth. Bought it last year. Bulb is still green though.
Bukhasovii hybrid - Just sits for one year, and finally rotted this year.
Only bulb that grows predictably is Festival Pink. Bought last year, 2 leaves all summer. This year, several teeeny offsets and a flower scape beginning to emerge.
All in all, very dissapointing.
Ben

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:17PM
dondeldux

I too have about 5 bulbs that just sit and won't do anything. I recently ( several weeks ago) finally cut the basal plates out of desperation (they didn't really need it) hoping to stimulate some growth and nothing yet. I do however have many bulbs that have rooted and still no leaves. I have many bulbs that have rooted and given me 2 leaves. Two seems to be the magic number for leaves for me. Big long leaves though. A few have bloomed and few are going to bloom.

I'm not going to give up hope just yet though, with spring coming and warmer weather who knows?

I have 2 Piyo-piyos and one is going to bloom very soon and has rooted while the other just sits with no roots. My Orange Feather sat for a year and then just rotted. I could go on and on with a different story about each bulb.

Donna

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Looking for H. Mandonii seed
Hi Folks Im looking for H. Mandonii seed that I can...
wiljonn
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
How do you edit out a photo??
Does anyone know how to remove a photo once it's in...
dondeldux
Anyone order Sonatinis?
Did anyone order any Sonatini's?? I ordered 39 bulbs...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
OK...who won the Houzz iPad??
It wasn't me! Although, with my new Houzz tape measure,...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™