Bamboo Advice Please

last1earthMay 18, 2007

I used to have a bunch of beautiful trees behind my backyard. Then my neighbors banded together and sold their backyards to developers. Now I have a GIANT McMansion leering down at me everytime I go out back. No privacy.

I would love a jungle/bamboo look. Can I plant any tall bamboos near a fence to 'hide' the McMansion? I cannot keep up with any running bamboos. I cannot dig down deep enough to put divders int he ground. And have no prior bamboo experince.

So I guess I'm asking are there any bamboos out there to work with me? Pretty, tall, clumping, beginers types? Zone 6 NJ

Thank you for any advice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I learned my lesson with the running bamboos. I am now into clumpers big time. I have only just started acquiring species of Fargesia (robusta, murielae, rufa) and Borinda. Can't tell you how their grown with compare to the runners. It seems that many of the non-tropical clumping species are mountain bamboos that have difficulty with high heat and humidity (so I have some concern about urban New Jersey summers). The mountain species range from extremely cold hardy to rather tender. I am also going to experiment with the subtropical Bambusa multiplex (said to be hardy to about 15 F.). PS.: I have noticed that my local garden centers are carrying mostly non-spreaders now as opposed to only a couple of years ago. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I don't know of any clumpers that will get really tall and are hardy in your Zone. If you want tall and hardy, I think you're going to have to plant runners and learn to rhizome prune.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™