Building garden structures with bamboo?

steve22802(7a VA)May 16, 2007

Hi all,

I have a lot of bamboo on hand right now because I cut a lot of culms a few weeks ago before shooting started. I'd like to try building some garden structures like shade pergolas and trellises and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good website or book that covers bamboo construction techniques especially how to join pieces together.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Steve-
Surprisingly, it is very difficult finding books that give details on bamboo joinery. I'm a bamboo nut and the only book I've ever found that gives detail on making strong joints is over 100 years old. It's called Bamboo Work, by Paul Hasluck, and the techniques illustrated in the book are still valid. It was reissued a number of years ago in paperback. I think it's out of print, but I do know one place you can get it, and that is from bamboogardener dot com, which I'm spelling out so that the robot message screener doesn't have a fit. This web site has a number of other books on building fences, etc., which involve other types of bamboo constuction; one in particular I can recommend is "Building Bamboo Fences" by Yoshikawa. However, the Hasluck book is the only one I know that shows how to make fitted, furniture-type joints.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I googled this site which has some details. I'm also about to make a trellis out of bamboo for roses. I called a local Japanese nursery and they recommended hemp twine for tying. I've heard hemp paper can last 2000 years so I would think the twine might be long-lasting. The site says if you use it wet it shrinks up when dry and tightens the knots, which is what I was looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make bamboo trellis

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™