Going to create a beginner bamboo package, what to include?

takumakuMay 6, 2007

I remember a few years ago when I first was looking to grow some bamboo and I discovered how costly it was to buy. I couldn't image spending $65 for a 5-gallon pot of F. rufa or B. multiplex when I was just toying with the idea of growing bamboo. Luckily, I found a fellow hobbyist who didn't mind donating a small 3-gallon pot of B. multiplex to a beginner.

My question to my fellow growers, if you were going to create a beginner bamboo package, what species would you include? The basic idea is to offer 4 bamboos that are 'cheap' and easy to grow. I have been toying with this idea for a few months now. This is the suggestion that I thought of.

Total cost to the beginner: $10 + shipping. All of these are 1 gallon pots.

Arundinaria gigantea 'tecta'

Bambusa multiplex

Phyllostachys aurea

Bambusa vulgaris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkz5ia

It all depends where someone lives, what I would include for beginners would be vastly different, obviously because of climate. Also, runners versus clumpers. If a person absolutely doesn't want invasive bamboo, then idea would have to be reformated.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 10:32AM
cesmls

When we lived in Portland, Oregon we started with black timber bamboo and yellow bamboo - fifteen years later we had the most beautiful "fence" of bamboo! The lady who bought the house next door to us said that it was the bamboo fence between our 2 properties that was the sale clincher.

And they were extremely low maintenance - we just laid a dripper line alongside them and then forgot about them. No fertilizer. No containment measures. Nothing.

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 4:47PM
mmyles

Great idea... I'd love to find a cheap/free/affordable resource for getting started...

I've been reading a lot and definately have the bug! Unfortunately (not really...) my gardening is on a really tight budget - new baby!

Some of the prices I've run across are truly prohibitive. But I've got a couple of great spots for some!

Let me know how this idea progresses - or if anyone has suggestions please.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 7:53AM
oppalm(6)

excellent idea. Why is boo so expensive? I mean, the stuff is almost indestructable (given the correct zone) and it grows so freely. I wonder if the government (or big oil) owns the boo farms. LOL.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 9:37AM
smittee(central florida)

OH PLEASE IF YOU GET THIS TOGETHER P-L-E-A-S-E LET me be your first Costumer Just email me..I love bambo have a small home lot in central florida and a green space between be and a cemetary...it is shaded then a mostly sunny spot between it and my yard. Please keep me in mind

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 9:05PM
andee_gw

I've lost track of some of the on-line ordering sources for bamboos (ones that the forum members trust and recommend). Could you include that information too?

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Moso vs Giant Japanese Timber
Phyllostachys heterocycla f. pubescens "Moso"...
vancleaveterry
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™