Bambusa oldhamii in half barrels

antinousMay 11, 2008

I've grown B. oldhamii in the ground here in Palm Springs, where it gets up into the 120s with 2% humidity. It did really well in my last garden, going from 5 to 25 feet in its first year. I moved to a second floor condo and I'm growing four of them in half whiskey barrels. So far, they seem quite happy and have sent out a few 3/4" culms. Anybody know how big they'll get in a half barrel under optimal conditions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

I've got some 24-footers in 14 inch pots. So yours may get really huge, but you can always cut them to size.

Kt

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 8:47PM
erm1981(7b)

Thats really interesting..I got a 3 gallon one that I planted into a pot that is about 6 gallons. I am curious to see how big it gets during the summer growing season here in 8a. Im really just experimenting with it here in South Carolina.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 6:22PM
kentuck_8b(__)

I still have these in the same pots, but they really need transplanting. They can barely make it a full day without watering, so I water in the morning before I leave, and again in the evening. I keep them under a tree in the shade.

I will be planting some in a 25 gallon tub to see how large it will get.

Kt

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 9:08PM
tey157(8b)

Kt, wow that is tall for such a small container.

Dean

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 3:17PM
fluffy_bamboo(Zone 9)

Kt, what kind of material are your pots made out of? I have Oldhammi that is about 20 in a heavy plastic pot and some of the rizones have busted through. I am going to have to plant them into something else or find a place in the ground. Yours are beautiful.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 9:52PM
kentuck_8b(__)

Both are in plastic containers. One is a 14-inch pot from Walmart which is wider at the top then at the bottom which helps prevent it from splitting.

The other is a black garden nursery pot and it is now split down one side.

I had plans to move these out to the country and plant them in the ground, but I need a trailer...I might get a ticket with 18-foot culms sticking off the back of my pickup truck:)

I may put them in larger, 25-gallon pots.

Kt

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 11:01PM
antinous

Cool. I was hoping that they would get to at least twenty feet. I need the shade. It was already 107° today. Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™