black bamboo

plumberryMay 5, 2014

we have, what used to be, a cement pond along a walkway, that we will be using as a planter. one landscaper suggests black bamboo. another landscaper says no way - bad idea - roots will find their way through the cement.
anyone know which one is correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brandon_the_Random(7b)

If it's a pond, it should've been watertight except for the few drainage holes. Unless your drainage holes lead straight to open yard, or that your pond is buried so that the soil level is above the pond edge, they shouldn't escape. From the runners I've seen, they extend super long rhizomes in a short amount of time, so unless you can make sure they don't make it over the edge of the pond or cut them off yearly, they shouldn't cause much problem. If they get out however, they can spread like crazy.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 12:43AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bamboo rhizomes (roots) will not "find their way through cement," although they might escape through major cracks. If the pond is intact, there is no issue. In addition, rhizomes are not like tree roots: they seek warmth, so they stay relatively shallow. I've hardly ever found any deeper than 12".

Also, if this is the level of knowledge about the plant world that the second developer has, I'd look elsewhere.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 1:28PM
michael723(6)

Kudzu is right on the money.. I loathe ignorant landscapers that blindly add to bamboo's stigmatization... As long as the concrete is solid then you're good.. For added security you could adhere some HDPE barrier to the walls to be 110% worry free.. Although it isn't really necessary..

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 1:25PM
Beth1943

I am trying to grow black bamboo under my cypress trees, but it always dies. Is this a problem with the cypress? Do I have any chance of succeeding?

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:33AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Beth-
I don't know because I've never lived around cypress trees. But you would have a better chance of getting an answer if you started your own thread.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™