Established bamboo groves in MI, IN, KY, OH, IL

uk2006May 11, 2007

I am looking for people that have established bamboo groves in MI and surrounding states including IN, KY, OH, and IL. I work and live at a camp and I love the look of Bamboo. But it is really expensive to get into. If there are some of you out there that would let me buy some Bamboo for cheap. I would come and do all the labor If it is in one of the states that I mentioned above. Those of you that have groves in and around MI please let me know what you are growing and some tips on growing bamboo. Any and all info is helpful. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

uk2006-
That's an interesting idea, but, given the cost per mile of driving these days, it would probably be cheaper and easier to order bamboo from reliable online vendors. Bamboo at local nurseries can be outrageously priced, but you can often get it sent to you much more reasonably. You also have to understand that Zone 5 is really marginal for bamboo, and even the hardiest bamboo will probably be topkilled each year. Further, bamboo that grow well in, say, KY might completely die the first winter in your location. Hopefully those few people on this forum who grow bamboo in Zone 5 will chime in on what would be most likely to survive for you. One of the hardiest is Phyllostachys nuda, which is supposedly hardy to -20F. The link below shows what happens to it when it gets down to -12F. If you want the names of some online sources, feel free to email me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. nuda, -12F

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Trans planting new shoots
Three years ago I transplanted bamboo in my yard. The...
Joecd
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™