Budda Belly

bigdaddy(10b Fl)May 8, 2006

I recently planted a Budda Belly that I had in a 10 gallon container for about 3 years. It's about 3' tall, my question is should I have cut back some of the roots. I saw on tv that this promotes new growth. I'm worried

it won't grow anymore.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardqld(Tasmania)

It'll grow dont worry,if it is very root bound make sure you water it properly.
cheers

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 4:16AM
pwcoffey

I have had a Budda for 3 years, the leaves and flowers are great, it has only one main stalk. How do I get the belly to grow instead of the height ?

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 4:18PM
bambookid524

pwcoffey,

Did you say FLOWERS?! Hat to break it to ya, but if its flowering, it has a high possibility of dying. :(

Bamboo dies once it flowers, and rarely stays alive past flowering. It is very rare to see bamboo flower though.

As for getting the bellies and not the height, I'm working on doing the same with my Buddha. I heard that depriving it of water is the best way.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 2:58PM
pwcoffey

Well it has had flowers every year. yes I let it stay dry
I have seen several pict of Budda Bellys with the tall orange/red flowers. I will email you a picture

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 11:21AM
bambookid524

I got your picture. That plant looks very nice But I think the buddha's people are talking about here, are Buddha Belly bamboo (Bambusa Ventricosa)

http://bamboogarden.com/Bambusa%20ventricosa.html

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 11:33AM
kentuck_8b(__)

Sounds like you have something other than bamboo, if it is flowers every year.

Also, if your talking about Bambusa Ventricosa, then once a culm emerges, you cannot make it 'belly' if it doesn't grow that way. Stress is best for making it belly. Lack of water and lack of nutrients or being rootbound in a pot will help cause the new shoots to emerge with bellies.

A more reliable bellying bamboo is B. vulgaris 'Wamin' which will belly reliably no matter what the environment it is in. However, it is less cold hardy, but does very well in a pot.

Kt

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 9:17PM
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

Hi Kt and Kid... how goes it? My buddahs are just beginning to sprout new culms in the outdoor planters... the 2 I kept indoors as my bonsai project kept re leafing all the time...
need to take new pics. Mine arent flowering ;-)

The clumping Moso sent up 10 more culms all touching the one next to the other... weird I know.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 8:23PM
kentuck_8b(__)

CJ, that is an interesting Moso that you have growing there. It will be interesting yo see what it does next year.

Kt

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 8:59PM
hello_c_j_here(7 Cary, NC)

Oh and BD... by placing the Buddah into the ground it is quite likely that it will soon revert back to its normal full culm growth habit and not show bellys again. The Planter, water and fert deprivation are what induce the morphed look.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Need expertise in ID'ing please
We were just given a large stalk and root base of this...
msmorningsong
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™