Looking for an herb or veggie that loves the shade

kate_w11June 23, 2012

I've got a spot where I've tried to grow lavender unsuccessfully, and is now empty. It faces west, but due to the location, it gets very little sun, maybe 2-3 hours a day at the most. Any suggestions on what to put in there? I've got about 3' wide and 8' long in this spot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

This list from MEN is one I used; however, lettuce is *not* going to grow in this heat, let alone sun. I tried. I know some people grow herbs successfully in summer, but, again, I'm not one. Good luck. It may help to tell everyone just when those 2 -3 hours of sun hit that area. Makes a difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants that love shade

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 5:36PM
Heatherleigh

I have a spot that sounds very similar, except mine gets about 2 hours of sunset light. I grew sage and basil all summer. However, I just moved them to the center of the yard now that it's October and they are much happier. I've replaced the herbs with some new types. So far peppermint seems to love the shade and Rue is looking good to. Lemon balm is not looking bad, but it's too soon to tell. I also planted lettuce. My friend is a Master Gardener and he said it will grow leggy and tall seeking out sunlight. So, I'm trying it. My mother actually grows lettuce year round. Even in the summer. She has such a dense and crazy bed that the lettuce gets shaded by all the other stuff growing around it and it grows like a monster. So, you could probably try it out in your shady spot. She grows mostly Romaine and Spinach.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 1:46PM
xoxos

my spearmint (NOT peppermint) seems to be successful through winter and summer in the shade. that seems to be a ymmv thing. peppers are also easy to grow. i have some (unknown species) that are two years old and ~like a small patio tree.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
April 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
Hi everyone, happy April! I don't know about you,...
grant_in_arizona
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Does anyone use straw to mulch?
I was going to buy a couple bales of straw to mulch...
captaininsano
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Sponsored Products
Bandelier 2-lt Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
Key Largo Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Black Granite Stone Bathroom Sink 16"x16 - BORNEO SHADOW
Living'ROC
Crystal LED Bathroom 5 Lights Vanity Lighting Fixture
ParrotUncle
Canyon Waves Ava 6-Light Bronze Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus