is there any guessing what species this free craigslist bamboo is

cousinfloydJune 9, 2014

In the free section of the Charlotte, NC craigslist there's some bamboo with a couple pictures, posted June 8. The description says: "Already cut down and ready to be hauled away. This bamboo ranges from 4 feet long to as long as 14-16' feet. Ranging in diameter from 1/4"-1/2" some maybe even bigger. But all of it is under an inch in diameter. This stuff is strong and good for countless projects..." My understanding is that most bamboo in North Carolina is probably in the Phyllostachys genus, but I'm wondering if this could be something else. Is there any identifying, narrowing down, or ruling out that can be done based just on what's in the ad?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/zip/4503345096.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

That's likely not a Phyllostachys. It looks like Pseudosasa japonica (Arrow bamboo) to me. What do you want to do with it? What this guy is offering is only useful as material for projects. It's dead and you won't be growing more from it.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 11:45PM
cousinfloyd

I was hoping maybe Pseudosasa japonica. That's a species I'd like to add. I was hoping there'd be a piece of root somewhere I could transplant. Is there any hope in that?

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 7:36AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

If you get a piece with a rhizome (root) attached it's possible that it will grow, but only if it is fresh and hasn't dried out. To grow from rhizome it's best to have a large, fresh piece, or better yet, a root ball. And if you succeed in growing from rhizome, it will take a number of years for it to size up. Best to have a whole division.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:39PM
cousinfloyd

Thanks, Kudz.
When you say a "whole division," do you just mean including a culm?

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™