companion plants for bamboo

ishareflowersJune 11, 2008

I have a unidentified bamboo that's approx. 2 1/2 feet tall., could someone please tell me what's a good companion plant for these. I live in zone 4/5. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

There are some bamboo which are that height as mature plants, but I'm curious what bamboo that would be in your Zone. Are you absolutely sure it's bamboo? Could you post a picture or describe it better? In particular, do the culms/stalks die back in the winter, or does it simply defoliate? How old is this planting?

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 11:12AM
ishareflowers

I looked it up and believe it to be a fargesia murielae. I'm looking for companion plants. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 12:12PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

F. murielae is a nice one. Bamboo coexist with almost anything. I have quite a few bamboo -- albeit in a more temperate climate, Zone 8 -- and I have been successful with ferns, various groundcovers, cotoneaster, and smaller flowers like marigolds, California poppies, and smaller-size daylilies and irises. Some of those may be too big in scale for your bamboo now, but murielae is quite hardy and should size up to a respectable height in coming years.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 2:31PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Plants with contrasting large leaves. Otherwise, frequent companions for Fargesias in the wild are spruces and rhododendrons.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 4:40PM
Sandrap_gbc_org

My neighbor in the back of my house has an excessive growth of bamboo used as a wall and/or property divider. The bamboo is nice but I would like to know how do you manage the roots for growing other plants? The roots have extended quite a distance and within this distance, I would personally like to include various plants. I have previously tried gardening but the bamboo roots kills the plants. What could I do to prevent the bamboo roots in killing my plants?

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 9:53AM
stevelau1911

Lilies might be a pretty good companion since they offer a big contrast come in all sizes from 1ft up to 8ft, and bloom in all sorts of colors. I have a collection up to 8 species of different forms.

They area easily propagated, but don't really spread if left alone and are very cold hardy.

Here is a link that might be useful: my lilies

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™