Basjoo flowering?

trishmick(z7NJ)June 7, 2010

A little preface...I dug up one of my Basjoos last Fall, and potted it for overwintering inside. Transplanted outside in late March. There is roughly 5 ft. of "stem", and it seemed to respond slowly compared to the ones I cut and left in ground. (They are taking off). Three leaves currently on the plant. Anyway, I noticed the other day an odd looking leaf appearing. This morning, upon watering, I took a good look, and am hoping that it is not a new leaf coming out, but the flower. Base is hard and bulbous, and not like the usual emerging leaves. Here is a picture of the new growth. I hope it's clear enough. Now...I'm 5'11" and had to stand on a ladder to get this shot. Is my plant going to fruit? If so, I'm pretty psyched. Been growing these for awahile, and this is the first time it might happen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zone10aridgardener

From the many hours of banana research ive been through I am 97 percent sure that thats an influorescence 'flower'. Now about that other three percent, if when it continues to grow you see something like that but bigger and red. You can be 100 percent sure its a bloom.
By the way since youve been a banana grower for so long when do you think my 6 foot 2 rajapuri is gonna bloom?

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 9:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zone10aridgardener

From the many hours of banana research ive been through I am 97 percent sure that thats an influorescence 'flower'. Now about that other three percent, if when it continues to grow you see something like that but bigger and red. You can be 100 percent sure its a bloom.
By the way since youve been a banana grower for so long when do you think my 6 foot 2 rajapuri is gonna bloom?

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Anyone know if this banana will fruit in the Houston area?
Banana prata (silver banana) - Description: up to 10...
darkstar22
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™