Orinoco and Basjoo

chippy(7)June 1, 2006

Hi all,

Got a question. I got one basjoo that seems to be growing super fast. My question is, are all the leaves supposed to turn brown and die? Its about 3 foot tall right now. The leaf pops up, spreads open, stays green for a week or so then just dies out.

Is this normal? I was expecting every leaf to stay on for awhile unless it needs to get bigger first?

Also, I have a 1 foot Orinoco Dwarf which shot up its first leaf. This was over a 2 weeks ago since its been fully opened. The leaf is still green but no new leaves are seen coming up where my basjoo starts a leaf as soon as one is fully opened. Is this normal?

I will post pics when time allows.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Chip

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
banana_fun

Basjoo thread -----> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/banana/msg0518025220067.html?8

As for your dwarf orinoco I would be patient. After transplanting the growth will sometimes stop, but will continue. I would love to see your pics.. please post. goodluck

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:29PM
chippy(7)

Thanks for your reply and for the link. I will get some close ups of the banana plants. Also, the Orinoco must have saw that I spoke about it as its pushing out a new leaf now! loll

Here is a link of some pics of my back yard in the palm forum. I will take close up pics of the banana plants in the coming days.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/palms/msg0509215631209.html?5
Thanks!
Chip

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Yard

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 9:51AM
banana_fun

Nice backyard! What a difference some grass and landscaping make.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 10:12AM
chippy(7)

Here are my Banana plants:
Orinoco. Had one leaf till about a week ago and now the new one is popping up and opening:

Basjoo. Had 1 little leaf before planting it about a month ago. Pushed open about 6 leaves already and grwoing fast. Weather hasnt even been that hot:

2nd Orinoco. Had no leaves about 2 weeks ago then boom, 1 popped up after the other:

3rd Orinoco. Thought this one was dead sicne I moved it like 3 times in a week! Gave it up for dead then last week I cut it down about 6" from the top and a huge leaf popped out! These things grow FAST! loll:

This thing was purchased at Home Depot. My wife loves it and it is very nice. Does anyone know what it is? lol Looks like in the Yucca family but I dont know:

I cant wait until it gets very hot outside to see what these bananas really do! Its only been in the 80s about 3 times this year. I will post pics from time to time to see the differences!

-Chip

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 8:56PM
banana_fun

My bananas are just starting to get going. We had a cool spring here in Toronto so I couldn't put the bananas in the ground until the end of May. My fastest grower right now is the Ensete ventricosum M. WOW! it grows fast.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 9:54PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Your mystery plant looks like a dracaena, probably 'arborea'. Keep it on the dry side.

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 9:05PM
chippy(7)

Thanks for the info. The only thing the Home Depot guy said was to only water it when the dirt is dry and it likes shade. Funny, he didnt know what it was called but he knows that info! lol
Anyway, I moved it under my sofet of the house. Weather has been nothing but cool and wet here in NY.

-Chip

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 9:54AM
tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)

when that orinoco takes off, watch out!!! lol if you fertilize them alot they will grow huge as in height!!
cliff

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 12:00AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Chippy,

It looks like Yucca elephantipes to me. Hardy to zone 9 and warmer.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 7:43AM
fglavin(Knoxville, TN)

Definitely yucca elephantipes.

Nice bananas!

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™