No leaves

pauln(z7B Arkansas)June 14, 2013

Hello Everyone. A friend gave me a division shoot from his main banana plant. It's about 5 feet tall, and has 1 green leaf from last year. I planted it about a month ago, and there has been no change since. It didn't really have any roots to speak of. The one green leaf has remained, so I'm still hopefull. Any ideas on when/if I'll get some new growth? Our weather has turned really hot in the last week, so maybe it will crank out something soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Varies. Without any real roots, the pup is totally dependent on the stored energy within the partial corm. I've heard stories of pups taking off from anywhere within a week to two months.

Just give it time and make sure you're watering the area around the corm fairly often.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:32PM
pauln(z7B Arkansas)

Thanks foreverlad! I planted it poorly initially, and found a better spot after that. When replanting, I did notice a few large roots beginning from the corm. I guess I'm just impatient. I had one for the past 3 years, but it turned to mush in my unfinished basement last winter. Seeing a new leaf is one of the highlights of my summer. This may say more about me than my banana plant.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:56AM

Totally understandable Pauln, I'm the same way. I have a back tropical bed with 12-15 basjoo spread out over 30-40ft. Each one of them have between 2-6 pups. I was anxious to start pulling some away and spreading the love. I only removed a single one about a month ago. It was the largest at the time. Had 2 leaves and a new cigar leaf rising.

When I pulled it away from the mother plant, I got two tiny roots, otherwise it was all curved corm. Not a solid bulb-like storage device, just the extension away from the parent plant. I sighed, plopped it down into the bed under some light canopy shade, and left it alone.

After a month, the two old leaves had died and the cigar leaf was gone. pseudostem was turning black from the top down. I dug it up two days ago. Had to cut away 1/3 of the p-stem and pot up the plant as no real roots were growing from the corm.

It might still make it, we'll have to wait and see. I have learned that patience is a virtue, and it's better to leave a pup attached too long than risk pulling it away too soon.

Mike

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:10AM
pauln(z7B Arkansas)

Wandering around my backyard garden today, and low and behold, my first new leaf is unfurling as we speak! I guess it was waiting on sustained hot days, which we'll have for the next 4 months. Thanks for the encouragement Mike! Now, I get to enjoy a new leaf about every 10 days. These tropicals are new to me, so I am learning as I go.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:59PM

That's great news! Good luck, and be sure to post some progress photos for us.

Mike

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
banana stopped growing without fruit. should i cut it down?
my second go around of growing dwarf cavendish inside....
johndoug
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Anyone know if this banana will fruit in the Houston area?
Banana prata (silver banana) - Description: up to 10...
darkstar22
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
Sponsored Products
Squares Paintable Wallpaper
Grandin Road
Paradise Palm 7-foot Silk Tree
Overstock.com
Caskata Sea Fan Dinner Plate
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Solid Brass Floating House Numbers
Signature Hardware
Sea Coast Outdoor Wall Sconce by Hubbardton Forge
$388.00 | Lumens
Antique Copper Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
Evergreen Enterprises Dogs Leave Paw Prints On Our Hearts Pet Memorial Stone - E
$28.98 | Hayneedle
Self-Rest Nylon Serving Spoon
$4.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™