Small Budget Gardening

tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)June 17, 2012

I found this excerpted article on MEN. It's common sense, but still worthy of a read, I think. I'm of the mind that if it's not free, it should at least be cheap. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Budget Gardening

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasjg(6)

Very interesting article. While I prefer "real" nurseries, big box can be a good deal if you know what you are looking for. I just got several 75% off plants at Lowes this wkd. Of course, cuttings are my favorite, either given/ traded, or even better, stolen at night from an unsuspecting front yard or hanging over a fence ; )

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:32AM
azant(10a)

Funny you mention unsuspecting yards at night... I have spotted a few people snag seed off my Ungnadia. Not like its a rare plant...

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:51AM
texasjg(6)

Yes, but it's the thrill lol.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:36PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

I like retrieving 'cuttings' from big box floors. Plants like succulents are often right on the edge of the shelves where people knock off pieces. Not that I ever do... :O

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:02PM
texasjg(6)

I do the same thing! Too funny!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 8:54PM
quotetheraven

I carry some small fold up scissors in my purse..my husband takes me on "mental health" drives on the weekends ( I don't get out much, lol) Often we stop and admire someones yard, many times I have knocked on their doors and asked for a cutting from their beautiful plant, never have been turned down. Most of us like to be complimented on how hard we have worked to have something more than just desert, lol. And I have picked up bits and pieces off floors and started them..it's fun and a challenge to start with something like that and end up with a big beautiful plant..

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:18PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

I love your method. Methinks I need to take a 'mental health drive' of my own! With scissors, of course.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:35AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Since we are confessing.....I once rescued a ponytail palm from an office entryway. That poor, poor plant was hungry for light and thirsty for water and ferts. I had been walking by that plant for weeks and it was breaking my heart. So one day as I walked by, going out the door for home, I just grabbed that baby by the neck and yanked her out. That was about 10 years ago. She rewarded me by growing into a beauty. I've transplanted her several times and am now thinking of planting her in mother earth. When it's light I'll get a picture.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 7:48AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Here she is.....the plan is to plant her pretty much in that spot, maybe out a little. Hubby does not want anything that needs water too close to the foundation.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:30AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

And if we're talking small budget gardening, we bring 'containers' home from camping in the wilderness. Here's a juniper stump repurposed as a growing container for the bower vine.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™