Getting rid of bananas

gnappiJune 30, 2012

A couple of years ago I planted several types of bananas figuring I'd wait till they produced fruit and keep the ones with the best flavor and growth attributes.

Well I have made my decision and a few bunches need to go. But how? Do I merely hack off the tree parts and suckers as they emerge and the roots will die eventually? or do I have to dig out the korm?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmettb_gw

You'll need to dig it out or it will just keep sprouting

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 2:41PM
paty99(z6 NY)

Yeah you need to dig it out and send it to me ;~). Seriously maybe I could pay your postage if you wouldn't mind taking it/them to the post office. What type of banana(s) are they??
Pat

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 6:29PM
nick1427d

I think many of us could use them so don't toss em out if you don't mind. I would gladly pay alittle extra for your trouble. Don't have much to trade with except elephant ears and tons of red canna.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 3:10PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

put them on craigslist and get someone to dig them for you!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 4:14PM
gnappi

Sorry for the long delay answering these.

"Yeah you need to dig it out and send it to me ;~). Seriously maybe I could pay your postage if you wouldn't mind taking it/them to the post office. What type of banana(s) are they?? "

I have several named cultivars and those that are dwarf or small I'm keeping. The very large ones are "Brazilian RED" so I'm told (though nothing about them is red except for the male tip of the flower stalk) by some folks who imported them from Brazil a gazillion years ago. The Korm is rather large, in the neighborhood of 3+ feet square and I have no idea how deep so mailing would not be possible, though local pickup in Southeast Flori-duh is do-able.

"I think many of us could use them so don't toss em out if you don't mind. I would gladly pay a little extra for your trouble. Don't have much to trade with except elephant ears and tons of red canna."

I only grow edible things, I have 30+ species of fruit trees, and vines. Too bad you folks are so far away, I would set you up in a mini plantation. I bring pups to work all the time for co-workers, they love them.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™