My black bamboo is very sick. Please help!

ccoombs1(7B SC)June 27, 2007

I planted a 3 gallon black bamboo summer 2005. It is planted in a huge plastic culvert that is appx 32" across and 40" deep, open bottom. The whole culvert is buried in the ground. The bamboo did great last summer. It got tall and sent out several new shoots. This year we had a very hard late freeze, well after all my plants began leafing out. the bamboo got zapped pretty hard and I eventully had to prune out the top half of many of the culms because they were brown and dead. The boo appeared to recover and sent out two new shoots. One is doing great, the other new shoot got about 24" tall and turned brown. What is this plant's problem? It gets some sun....partial shade also. I do water it...enough that the wild ginger (8 small plants)planted around it's base is happy, but the ground is not soggy. I have not fertalized it. Any suggestions or ideas? I really don't want to lose this plant! thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Does sound like it's not getting enough water. Hard to say more without viewing patient.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 4:35PM
ccoombs1(7B SC)

Can bamboo be over-watered? If not, I'll start watering it heavly every couple of days to see if it perks up. I just dont want to drown it.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 4:47PM
prosper_2007

Can this species be container grown outdoors in zone 9?

Bookmark   October 28, 2007 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Sponsored Products
Appliquations Mondrian Clip Wall Sconce by Oggetti Luce
$206.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™