Runner or Clump for concrete planter

elbeardoJune 6, 2009

I'd like to plant black bamboo in a concrete planter I built in my back yard. The dimensions of the planter are as follows:

20' long

2' wide

3' deep with open bottom

I've heard that black bamboo is a runner type . Is runner better for this situation or is clumping better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abnormalsanon(Philadelphia, PA)

I would be interested in the answer to this, too, as I have a long, narrow area on the side of my house where I could build a raised planter bed.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 11:09AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Black bamboo is a runner, but rhizomes do not typically go as deep as three feet...mine typically stay witin a foot of less of the surface. However, there is always a small chance that a runner could hit the side, deflect downward, and dive down. If it were me, I'd be pretty comfortable with a concrete planter 3' deep. If a runner ever surfaced at the bottom of the planter, it would be obvious and you could easily chop it off. I would not let the sometimes over-hyped stories about bamboo's invasive prevent me from planting what I liked. Even without the barrier of a concrete container, bamboo can be controlled if you just give it some maintenance when needed.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 1:04PM
richieboo(7)

elbeardo, can you share a picture of the planter you built? I'd love to see it. I have black bamboo, still very young though. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:43AM
silversword(9A)

Hi Elbeardo,
I did similar, my planter is 16" wide x 2' deep x 100' long. I planted black bamboo four years ago and it's so thick now I can't see through it to my neighbors. I have had no problems so far.
~Silver

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Are giant black java seeds real or scam?
I have 15 seeds sprouted from a seller with good ratings...
humboldt
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™