Anyone growing Musa 'Burmese Blue'?

bananaman1(9, Houston)June 4, 2007

Does anyone have experience growing M. 'Burmese Blue'? I've got one that I purchased off of E-bay that is doing pretty well in the ground. It came in about a 3"-4" pot and was about 6" tall at the most. It has been in the ground for close to two months now and seems to be doing fairly well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob6012

I too am growing M. Burmese Blue and I also bought mine on e-bay along with 10 or so others during my January planting fever. It's doing extremly well in a bed with the others and fertilized with seasoned horse manure and mulched with wood chips. Give them lots of water and stand back, as they say. I am also growing Giant Nepal's and Abysinnians from seed. There's a frustrating hobby that requires a lot of patients. I bought a Siam Red from a fellow and it's doing fairly well, too.
Bob,

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 8:20PM
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

I have had one for three-four years. Barely survives winter in San Diego, with coldest temp of 38 deg.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 11:52PM
bananaman1(9, Houston)

Anyone had theirs fruit yet? Mine did well inintially, but I've noticed a few leaves turning yellow when I feel like I'm giving it plenty of water (same regimine as all my other bananas). Sometimes it looks a little wilted as well, but it is still alive and growing...just not as robust and vigorous as some bananas I've seen. Looking forward to it fruiting though. Maybe next year if I'm lucky!

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 12:39PM
bob6012

I know that none of my musa or ensete's will tolerate full sun here. They get only morning sun or they go into a wilt stage then a 'I'm goin' to die' stage as the leaves burn. I almost lost several of them that way.
Too much fertilizer (miracle gro) will burn them, too. I'm hoping for fruit within the next year or so, but this is my first time with banana's and have a lot to learn.
Good luck,

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™