Spectabilis - new shoot is green?

richieboo(7)June 13, 2012

Hi group. I just bought a new Spectabilis to add to a bed where my existing plant is flowering. I bought a more mature plant which has one culm, guessing it is the young/new one, and it is green. I don't know if I got a different type of bamboo than I expected. I read that Robert Young bamboo has culms that are first green and then change to yellow while retaining the green stripes. Nowhere do I read the same for Spectabilis. Other than waiting a few years to see what develops, can anyone help me properly ID this bamboo? Thanks in advance.

It can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richienj/7361838538/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watchnerd

My spectabilis never shoots green like that. They come out yellow/maroon/purple.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 12:54AM
richieboo(7)

I'll have to see what happens next Spring. That shoot died, guessing shock and that the angle it was growing from the side of the pot I took it from. Thanks for the reply post.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 7:15AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

richieboo-
My spectabilis also never shoots green. That almost looks like it could be from another bamboo...however, it also looks like it's too close to the other culms for that to be true.

The angle of that shoot did not factor into its demise. I have many bamboo and they sometimes shoot at similarly weird angles.

I'll be interested to hear what happens next spring.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™