ID: Thorny Tree at ASU

pteroceltis(z5 Syracuse)June 25, 2011

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an identification. I bumped into a very thorny tree with simple, glossy, variably-shaped leaves on the ASU Tempe Campus. More specifically, the tree is on the east end of Discovery Hall, just off the Cady Mall walking area. The leaves are alternate and mostly round, although some of the shoots bear leaves with some blunt lobing; some have notched apices. The bark is smooth and gray but the plant is still pretty young (10-15' tall). The leaves are very glossy. No signs of fruits or flowers. The thorns are about 3-4" long on average and are simple. I just graduated from ASU (plant biology) and this is the only plant on campus I haven't been able to ID yet. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
euqruob(Phoenix, AZ)

The ASU Botany department should have the names of all the trees on campus...they used to have signs.

BTW, have you found the Sapote tree on campus yet?

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 3:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pteroceltis(z5 Syracuse)

Indeed I have, if you mean Casimiroa edulis. ASU doesn't have a botany department, and their plant sciences have been steadily going downhill. They still have some great professors in plant bio but I've heard that a lot of good ones retire or leave and aren't being replaced. Pretty much the same is happening with the arboretum; a lot of plants listed online have died and not been replaced. In one case I found a healthy Bauhinia lunarioides which was recently removed for mysterious reasons. I noticed sadly that I was the only Plant Biology major listed in the commencement program.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™